The Miller Building at 800 Broadway was named to the National Register of Historic Places on March 10, 2003, as part of the Eighth & Broadway Historic District.
Built in 1910, the Miller Building is a three-story building with Beaux Arts styling, according to the NRHP nomination.
It was placed on Columbia’s Historic Preservation Commission’s Notable Properties List in 2002.
The Miller Building was built on a lot previously occupied by the Stephens Cash Store, which exploded. The Miller Building was built by merchant C.B. Miller, a shoe merchant, who had had a store at 823 E. Broadway before he moved his shop to 800 Broadway, according to the NRHP nomination form.
The building is not a precise example of Beaux Arts style, but it does feature many of that style’s elements.
The building also is of historic importance because of its owner. Miller also served on the Columbia Board of Education, helped form the Retail Merchant’s Association, belonged to the Round Table Club, the Elks, the Columbia Country Club, the Commercial Club and the Rotary Club. He served as a director of the Boone County National Bank and a deacon in the Presbyterian church, according to the nomination form.