Commercial

Media coverage: Commercial Buildings Media Coverage

LIST OF COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS WITH HISTORIC IMPORTANCE. These are listed alphabetically by street name, then address, then direction.

  • 903 E. Ash St., 1912, Vernacular. W.B. West Building. Named to the Notable Properties list in 2006.  West was the owner of Columbia’s first automobile. Patrick Eng, Matthew Woods and Scott Orr Law Offices, once housed the Columbia Taxi Cab.
  • 2300 Bernadette Drive, Columbia Mall. Built in February 1985, opened toward the end of the year. Here’s a look back at the Columbia Mall from the May 14, 2021 Columbia Missourian titled https://www.columbiamissourian.com/visuals/photos/from-the-archives-lets-go-to-the-mall/article_f9b97080-aaaa-11eb-a88e-03954e004e9c.html
  • 720 E. Broadway. The building and the resident bank’s history was covered in this Flashback article published in the November 2014 issue of the Columbia Business Times.
  • 800 E. Broadway, Miller Shoe Store, Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003 as a part of the Eighth and Broadway Historic District. The building contains elements of the Beaux Arts style.
  • 812 E. Broadway. Not on the list of Columbia’s Notable Properties, but has a historic prismatic light lens on the front of the building. This article in Missouri Resources Fall 2011 outlines the importance of these lenses. (Article used with permission.)
  • 823-823 E. Broadway, prior to 1883. Now My Secret Garden, a florist, previously occupied by Tucker’s Jewelry, which has since moved.
  • 901 E. Broadway, Haden Building, 1921. On the site of the first Haden Opera House, which burned, Commerce Bank renovated the building in 2009. It was named to the Most Notable Properties List in 2011, per this Feb. 15, 2011 Columbia Missourian article.
  • 1020 E. Broadway, 1892, Stephens Publishing. Once housed the Columbia Herald, one of the city’s first newspapers.
  • 1025 E. Walnut (Walnut & Orr Streets). 1924. The Berry Building, has been recently restored and now houses Wilson’s Fitness Center, and includes luxury apartments and retail space available. Named to Columbia’s Most Notable Properties List 2010. Take a peek at before and after photos, with details of the $3.4 million project, on the Huebert Builders Inc. website. 
  • 1104 E. Broadway, built 1927, Central Dairy Building, now Downtown Appliance.
  • 1025 E. Broadway, 1910, The Kress Building. In 2016, occupied by a bar. Named to the National Register of Historic Places on Jan. 20, 2005. Read the NRHP form here.
  • 1406 W. Business Loop, ca 1928. Formerly the Pierce Pennant Motor Lodge, now the Candle Light Lodge, an assisted-living residence. Read more about this building and its Stephens College connection in this 1982 National Register of Historic Places document.
  • 1411 Business Loop 70 East, 1938. Arrow Head Motel, Columbia. See and read about it via this pdf file of an Oct. 15, 2013 Columbia Missourian article, “The Arrow Head Motel remains historic fixture in Columbia.” Here’s an online resource about this history of the Arrow Head and its distinctive sign.
  • 625 Cherry St., Columbia Telephone Building. Learn more about this building here: Feb. 6, 2012 — Six properties to be honored by Columbia’s Historic Preservation Commission — Columbia Missourian. Includes photographs for the 1928 Harry Satterlee Bill Tudor Revival home in the Grasslands, the 1929 Kappa Kappa Gamma (Sorority) House, Columbia College’s Missouri Hall, and the Columbia Telephone Company building which now houses CenturyLink.
  • 17 and 19 N. Fifth St. These are the last remaining buildings of the Sharp End historic district. These buildings in 2017 housed Tony’s Pizza Palace and for a time Ugly Mugg, which has since closed.
  • 23 S. Eighth St., Tiger Hotel, built 1928.
  • 28 N. Eighth St., Guitar Building, named to Columbia’s Most Notable Properties in 2003.
  • 315 N. Eighth St.
  • 206 Hitt St., 1927. Belvedere Apartments. Spanish Eclectic style.
  • 211 Hitt St., 1927. Beverly Apartments. Classical Revival style multi-family residence.
  • 802 Locust St. 1920s. Now houses the Missouri Press Association. It was built during the same period as the Missouri Theatre.
  • 17 N. Ninth St., formerly the Varsity Theatre, now The Blue Note.
  • 102 S. Ninth St., formerly the Hall Theatre Building, in early 2013 vacant, once occupied by the Panera Bread Co.
  • 110 S. Ninth St. — Booche’s, circa 1925. Named to Columbia’s 2013 Most Notable Properties, read more here Commission to honor city’s notable properties: Six buildings to be recognized.
  • 111 S. Ninth St. 1911. The Virginia Building, now houses retail stores. Named to both the National Register of Historic Places and the Historic Preservation Commission Notable Properties List in 2002.
  • 203 S. Ninth St. 1928, the Missouri Theatre, now owned and operated by the University of Missouri.
  • 407 S. Sixth Street, built 1927, Missouri State Teachers Association, named to the National Register of Historic Places, 1980. It is built in the Jacobethan Revival style.
  • 411-413 E. Broadway, McKinney Building.
  • 901 N. Range Line St., now houses the St. Francis House.
  • 900-902 N. Range Line St., 1927. Formerly the Heibel-March Drug Store.
  • 1020 E. Broadway, 1892, Stephens Publishing. Once housed the Columbia Herald, one of the city’s first newspapers.
  • 300 N. Tenth St., formerly housed Koonse Glass. In 2016, it was owned by John Ott. At one time, media coverage indicated Root Cellar, a grocery, would move into the building as of fall of 2016.
  • 315 N. Tenth St. 1882, formerly the Samuel H. and Isabel Smith Elkins Home, this Italianate style home once houses Village Glass works.
  • 821 E. Walnut St. 1902. The Wabash Arms Building, the upper floors are the Village Square Apartments. Built as the Athens Hotel, it was later named “The Columbian,” and “Ben Bolt” Hotel. It was named to the Notable Properties List in 2004, as noted in a May 5, 2004 article in the Columbia Daily Tribune.
  • 1123 Wilkes Blvd., 1907. The Hamilton-Brown Shoe Factory.

Leave a Reply