• July 12, 2018 — Hunt Avenue adapts to the times. Source: The Columbia Missourian written by Margaret Austin. Summary: Houses at 506 and 510 Hunt Avenue are slated for demolition. Some of the houses on Hunt Avenue are going to be demolished so the owner Fred Christman can redevelop the area. The houses are too small for today’s standard, less than 1,000 feet. The houses are also older and built in the 1940s and 1950s. Hunt Avenue is north of Worley and south of I70. Photographs by Abigail Young accompanying the article show houses 506 and 510 as slated for demolition.
  • May 30, 2018 — Historic home may be razed, Columbia Missourian. Summary: A house at 1506 Hinkson Ave. in the Benton-Stephens neighborhood burned on May 10. The house may now be razed. The house is owned by Emmett McNulty. The house was built around 1925.
  • May 9, 2018 — Architectural artifacts find their way into businesses, homes, Columbia Missourian. Summary: Josh Wexler is opening DrinKraft on Tenth and Park Avenue and will be decorating with items reclaimed from now demolished buildings. He is using items from the now demolished Bull Pen Cafe and the James Apartment at 121 S. Tenth St. Susan Maze is using items from the James Apartment in her home. She was a former resident of the James Apartment. Pat Fowler, chair of the City of Columbia’s Historic Preservation Commission, commented about the items being reused and the auction the city holds to sell items saved from buildings set to be demolished.
  • April 21-22, 2017 — Quirky Quonset huts to go, but one remains a quirky reminder of MU’s past, Columbia Missourian. Summary: Two Quonset huts on College Avenue are set to be demolished by owner Robert Craig. The article outlines the history of MU’s Quonset huts, which were used for quick space during the 1940-post World War II enrollment increase due to former soldiers taking advantage of the GI Bill. The article notes the Quonset huts housed 2,800 student and, citing MU archives, were also used “as a textbook office, a laboratory and hospital office space.”
  • April 2-3, 2017 — Holding on to pieces of the past, Columbia Missourian. Summary: Discusses salvage effort on The Bull Pen Cafe, 2310 Business Loop 70 E Columbia, MO 65201. Quotes former owner Jackie Cockrell and Pat Fowler of the Historic Preservation Commission. The Bull Pen Cafe opened in 1951. On this date, the building is owned by Marty Riback, who plans to demolish the building.
  • March 10, 2017 —Bull Pen Cafe building will face the wrecking ball, Columbia Missourian, accessed March 19, 2017. Summary: The Bull Pen Cafe at 2310 Business Loop, open for 60 years prior to its closure in 2007, will be demolished. Salvage efforts will take place starting at 9 a.m. on Saturday, March 25, 2017. Here’s a link to a July 20, 2008 Columbia Missourian article about the Bull Pen. The headline is, “Cafe irreplaceable to regulars.

July 28, 2016 — Historic East Campus house demolished for new apartment building, this article outlines the demolition of the William T. Bayless house at 1316 Bass Ave. The house, the article notes was 100 years old and Bayless was a treasurer of Stephens College from 1905-1926.

July 27, 2016 — Homes at 1312 Bass Ave., and 1316 Bass Ave. demolished to make way for a 16-unit apartment building, according to this July 27, 2016 report in the Columbia Missourian.

June 28, 2016 — Sigma Nu comes down, Columbia Missourian. Summary: The fraternity house at 710 S. College Ave. is demolished. A new fraternity house will replace it.

May 6, 2016 — Developer seeks to demolish historic East Campus houses, Columbia Missourian. Houses at 1312 and 1316 Bass Ave. set for demolition for apartment buildings.

Demolished 2013 — 1404 E. Broadway — to make way for the Hagan Scholarship Academy.

Demolished 2011 — 2911 Old Highway 63 South, 1925, Craftsman. Annie Fisher House. DEMOLISHED, 2011. Read more in this Nov. 29, 2011 article in the Columbia Daily Tribune. This link will take you to a photo of the house. For more information, click here. Annie Fisher, the daughter of slaves, became one of Columbia’s first African-American business owners. She operated a restaurant and catering service out of this house, which was named to Columbia’s Notable Properties list in 2009.

Destroyed by fire 1998 — Gordon Manor 2100 East Broadway.

Relocated to Boone County History and Culture Center — “Pop” Collins log cabin, which once stood next to Gordon Manor. Learn more about Gordon Manor and the relocation of the cabin. Note: The name “Pop” Collins refers to the person who tried to restore it, not the people who lived there. This Sept. 26, 1935 Columbia Missourian newspaper article outlines the effort to save the cabin in place and then follows with an article that quotes a Jim Williams, who was born into slavery and lived in the cabin. The article references slave breakers and owners selling someone south if he or she was disobedient. Note, the language and glossing over of the reality reflect 1935 attitudes and no the attitude of this website.

Here is a quote from the article:

In spite of agitation and racial conflict right before the Civil War, the Gordons had little trouble with their slaves, according to Uncle Jim. “Marse Dave never had his slaves whipped like some folks did, and he never sent them to the ‘slave breaker’.”

The slave breaker, the boogeyman of the Negro people, has retained a vivid spot in Uncle Jim’s memory. “He was a big, brawny man, and he was mean. He had a place here in town–I guess it was about where Clinkscales garage is now–and whenever a slave became too unruly, his master took him in to the slave breaker, who didn’t often fail to beat the rebellion out of him. The slave breaker had a pen with a log fence about ten or twelve feet high. He’d put the ‘bad Nigger’ in there and beat him several times a day.

“Marse Dave never sent his men to the slave breaker,” said Uncle Jim emphatically. “Whenever he couldn’t do anything with one, he’d call him in and say, ‘I’m sorry, Dick, but I’m going to have to ship you south.’ And then he’d send him off with the next slave trader who came through town.”